So if you have read any of my posts, you probably have realized that I really do love a good historical drama. I love ones that are primarily accurate, although they often have a high level of angst since historically speaking, there was a lot of death, dying and despair back in the day. What I have discovered in dramaland is also the not quite historical dramas. These sageuk (the fancy name for historical Korean drama) have a bit of makjang (or storylines that are a bit outrageous.) Now, keep in mind that outrageous for a historical piece might not be AS outrageous in a modern piece, kwim? These dramas were set back in time historically but without a lot of the historical accuracy. Imagination runs a tad wild which makes them fun! Anyway, without futher ado, here are some of my favorite makjang sageuks…
- Scholar Who Walks the Night: What if the king was actually ruled by a vampire? And it took a vampire to save the king? Add in a bit of gender bending and a lot of sweet romance as well as some birth secrets and other good twists and you have the making for one entertaining drama! And please, we can’t forget Gwi’s abs. You’re welcome.
- Faith: (aka The Great Doctor) Time travel brings a doctor from the present far into the past. There she finds and fights magical powers, twisted schemes and finds love that surpasses time. Highly enjoyable and Lee Min Ho is always a pleasure to watch.
- Sungkyungwon Scandal: Gender bender meets college drama, old school style. A must watch. Seriously.
- Mirror of the Witch: This drama is currently airing and man, it is a lot of fun. Tons of magic. Shamans, Taoists, Prince and Princesses… What a fun ride it has been so far!
- Moon Embracing the Sun: This is one of the sweetest historical romances you can find. Yes, full of tragedy but man, worth the tissues! A great place to start if you want to find out a bit about the inner court and court intrigue and still get your satisfying ending.
I know there are more for the list but these are the ones that pop in right away! Enough to get you binge watching for sure.
Have another in mind? Leave a comment ! Enjoy!